Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II
Released March, 2008
The Pros:Attractive exterior design. A wide range of capacities to choose from (up to 6TB). Aimed at Mac users, aesthetically.
The Cons:Plastic construction aren't the best materials. No USB 3.0 interface.
The Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II model is a mid-grade external quad interface (USB 2.0, eSATA, and Firewire 400/800) hard drive. It is designed for both in-home, and business use. The Studio Edition II hard drive is about the size of an average paperback book and will take up about the same amount of space.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
It features an available, 2TB (2,000GB), abd 1TB (1,000GB) storage capacity, with a 16mb drive cache and a speed of 7200rpm. The Studio Edition II hard drive comes with support for automatic file backup, safe shutdown software which prevents the hard drive from being shut down while files are being transferred, and quad interface support for USB 2.0, eSATA, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800. The Studio Edition II is specifically formatted for Macintosh computers, and is set up with HFS+ journaled formatting for complete Mac support; the hard drive can also be easily reformatted for PC's. Additional features include install-free automatic plug in support for PC and Mac computers, energy efficient functionality that automatically turns the hard drive on and off with the connected computer, a heat dissipating design with Morse Code support built to keep the hard drive from overheating (heat is a potential data killer), and a front panel capacity gauge that displays approximately how much space is left available. The Studio Edition II external hard drive is also user serviceable, meaning the hard drives inside can be taken out, replaced, or upgraded to a users liking with no screwdriver requirements.
- Size of an average paperback book
- Automatic File Backup, and Safe Shutdown software
- Automatic, install-free, plug-in support for both PC and Mac computers
- Specifically formatted with HFS+ journaled formatting for complete Mac support; can also be easily reformatted for PC's
- Energy efficient functionality
- User Serviceable/Upgradable
- Front Panel capacity gauge
- USB 2.0, eSATA, and Firewire 400/800 interface support
- Drive Size: 2TB (2,000GB), 1TB (1,000GB)
- Drive Cache: 16mb
- Drive Speed: 7200rpm
- Transfer Rate (Max)
- eSATA: 3GB/ sec
- Firewire 800: 800 Mbits/ sec
- Firewire 400: 400 Mbits/ sec
- USB 2.0: 200Mbits/ sec
- Weight: 2.6 lbs
- Dimensions (H x L x W): 6.5" x 5.4 x 2.1"
- Operating Temperature: 41° F to 95° F
- AC Input Voltage: 100-240 VAC
What It Holds (1TB Drive)
- Up to 285,000 digital photos
- Up to 250,000 MP3 songs
- Up to 25,000 songs (uncompressed CD quality music)
- Up to 76 hours of digital video (DV)
- Up to 440 hours of DVD quality video
- Up to 120 hours of HD video
- Available USB port
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Note listed on Western Digital website: This drive is formatted and the pre-loaded software is designed for a Macintosh operating system. Driver and utilities for Windows users is available for download.
- Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later
User Reviews (1)
Attractive exterior design
A wide range of capacities to choose from (up to 6TB)
Aimed at Mac users, aesthetically
Good performance for the price
Allows for simple user upgrades if needed
Plastic construction aren't the best materials
You may also like...